Sharing with you things that are on my mind...Maybe yours too. Come back to Wrights Lane for a visit anytime! And, by all means, let's hear from you by leaving a comment at the end of any post. THE MOTIVATION: I firmly believe that if I have felt, experienced or questioned something in life, then surely others must have too. That's what this blog is all about -- hopefully relating in some meaningful way -- sharing, if you will, on subjects of an inspirational and human interest nature. Nostalgia will frequently find its way into some of the items...And lots of food for thought. A work in progress, to be sure.

13 April, 2016

THE KEY IS KNOWING WHEN YOU ARE ENOUGH

It seems like almost everyone I know is in the midst of a physical and emotional transformation of some kind, myself included. Symptoms range from serious challenges (cancer, Lyme disease, etc.) to very annoying (but not life-threatening) things like chronic headaches, arthritis, vertigo, reflux, food sensitivities, parasites, blood flow, sleeplessness -- you add to the list.

An acquaintance has spent thousands of dollars during the past five years on western, eastern medical treatments, woo-woo energetic healings, medical intuitives, EFT release techniques, herbs, aromatherapy, homeopathic remedies, flower remedies, cleanses, acupuncture, vitamins, consultants and just about anything else you can think of, but her chronic conditions are still there. Every treatment helps a little, but is not a cure.

A little closer to home, my wife and I spend hundreds of dollars a month on vitamins and remedies which in retrospect I am not convinced are helping much.

Looking into my own psyche and observing my friends in the same boat, I see a pattern: We are all very driven creatures who enjoy producing results, making a difference in the world. That is the "outer" part of it.

Going deeper, it's clear that we are also trying, sometimes desperately, to fill up parts of our soul. Seeking respect and attention in the form of our success. The way we fill these holes is different with each of us. Certainly ego plays a big role. Identity is commonly tied to outer abilities.

Busyness is also a big piece of this. Writer friend Arielle Ford recently diagnosed herself with what she calls "chronic shpilkes." Shpilkes is a Yiddish word that means having "ants in your pants." It also means impatience and agitation. You might also call it an "adrenalin addiction."

While the soul is clearly screaming for a kinder, gentler, more peaceful day-to-day existence, and while the mind knows, believes, and understands that we can "do less and accomplish more," the reality is that we are often still in an overdoing mode.

Here's what I know for sure about this:

It's not about having "more."

It's not about having more organic juices, more yoga classes, more money, more results, more success, more books, more sex, more this or more that.

It's about really, truly getting to enough.

I am enough.

You are enough.


I'm resolved to the fact that I do not need "more".  I can't get any better and some days I think that I can't get any worse.

I now see that nobody out there has the "cure" to my particular issue(s) because nothing is wrong --
really. Nature is taking its course.  This is my journey to figure out and I'd better catch up with myself while I still have a few more miles left in the old engine -- and to enjoy being just as I am and as imperfect as I may be.

The nice part of it is...I do not have to be in a hurry anymore.  It has always been against my nature.

No comments: